Effective Date: October 16, 2020
MTN Gear may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the Effective Date above, and, in some cases, we may provide you with more prominent notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification). We encourage you to review this Policy whenever you access our Services or otherwise interact with us to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us. We collect the information you provide directly to us. When you interact with us we collect information, for example; when you rent gear or make a purchase; access and use our Services (including when you write a review or participate in other interactive areas of our Services); create an online account or profile; sign up for or participate in contests, promotions, sweepstakes, customer experience research, surveys, mailing lists, events, outings or trips; engage with us via social media platforms; and when you email, call or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include your name, address, phone number, email address, ZIP code, photos, videos, social media usernames, payment information, demographic information, information about your interests, potential outdoor activities, information about the equipment you are interested in renting, rental dates, information on certain physical characteristics related to the gear or equipment you rent, the content you post to the interactive areas of our Services, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically. When you access or use the Services or transact business with us, we automatically collect certain information about you, including:
- Transaction Information: When you rent, purchase or return gear or equipment we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, rental or purchase price, and the date and location of the transaction.
- Log and Usage Information: We obtain information about the device you use to access our Services and your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, hardware model, operating system and app version, mobile network information, IP address, unique device identifiers, access times, pages viewed, items placed in your cart, links clicked, browsing behavior, and referring URL (the webpage you visited before navigating to our Services).
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. We may also collect information about your approximate location each time you access our Services.
Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may also receive information about you from other sources and combine or link that with information we have about you. For example:
- If you create an account or access our Services using credentials from a third-party social media platform (such as Facebook), we have access to certain information from that platform, such as your name, email address, friends list and public profile information, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by that platform.
- We collect content you share publicly in connection with our products, services or campaigns, including photos, videos and profile information.
Information We Infer or Derive About You. We may use or combine personal information that you provide, that we collect automatically, or that we obtain from other sources to derive or infer additional personal information about you. For example, we may infer that you may be interested in the purchase new hiking gear or ski gear based on your website browsing behavior and past transactions, or we may use your IP address to estimate your general location.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect about you to provide, maintain, and improve our Services and the other interactions we have with you. For example, we use the information we collect to:
- facilitate and improve your customer experience;
- provide and deliver products and services, process transactions and returns, and send you related information, including confirmations, receipts, invoices, customer experience surveys, and recall notices;
- manage your accounts with us, host forums and interactive areas of our Services, provide technical support (including to debug and troubleshoot), and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- communicate with you about MTN Gear and partner products, services, offers, contests, promotions, sweepstakes, surveys and customer experience research, news, events, outings, and trips, and other information we think will be of interest to you;
- comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- in connection with our Services;
- tailor the content and information that we send or display to you, offer location customization and personalized recommendations, help, and instructions, and otherwise personalize your experience while using our Services;
- provide advertising and marketing targeted toward your interests;
- link or combine with other information we receive from third parties to help understand your preferences and provide you with personalized service; and
- carry out any other purpose conveyed to you at the time the information was collected.
Transfer of Information to the U.S. and other Countries
We are based in the United States and process and store the information we collect in the U.S. and in Canada. If you are based outside the U.S., we transfer your personal information to, and process your personal information on, servers located in the U.S and Canada., a jurisdiction that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
Sharing of Information
We may share, and you are consenting to such sharing, of personal information about you outside of MTN Gear as follows or as otherwise described in this Policy:
- with service providers, vendors, contractors, or agents who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf, such as those that assist us with our business and internal operations like shipping and delivery, rentals, payment processing, fraud prevention, customer service, gift cards, experiences, co-branded financial products, personalization, marketing, and advertising;
- when you participate in the interactive areas of our Services (such as by creating a profile, posting comments and other content, reporting trail conditions, or writing reviews), certain information about you may be displayed publicly on our Services and also may be distributed on third-party sites. For example, your photos, videos, stories, posts, comments, product reviews, product questions and answers, information about your participation in outdoor activities and any other content or information you choose to provide will be shared with users of our Services.
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet law enforcement or national security requirements;
- between and among any current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on the Services with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these features.
Your Account Information. You may update or correct your online account information by logging into your online account and updating your information or by calling our customer service number, but note that we may retain information about you for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your purchases, account, membership or our ongoing business relations.
Location Information. The settings of your Internet browser or mobile device may allow you to stop sharing your location.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts. With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
We may also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign on third-party platforms (such as Facebook or Google). As part of these ad campaigns, we or third-party platforms may convert information about you, such as your email address and phone number, into a unique value that can be matched with a user account on these platforms to allow us to learn about your interests and to serve you advertising that is customized to your interests. Note that the third-party platforms may offer you choices about whether you see these types of customized ads.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this Policy or about our privacy practices, please contact our customer service representatives by emailing [email protected].